Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- For other uses of the term "Sonic the Hedgehog," see Sonic the Hedgehog (disambiguation).
The upcoming untitled film adaptation based on Sonic the Hedgehog is being co-produced and financed by Sony Pictures Entertainment. The film will be a CGI/live-action hybrid film with the help of Sega's Marza Animation Planet unit. The film will be produced by Neal Moritz and the screenplay will be written by Evan Susser and Van Robichaux. It is the first entry to a planned film series. and it is set for a 2018 release.
Sony Pictures acquired the film rights to Sonic the Hedgehog from Sega in 2013, and officially gave the green-light at a private joint Sega/Sony Pictures press conference announcing the film on June 10, 2014.
On 3 December 2013, Sony Pictures Digital Domain Names, Inc., a division of Sony Pictures Entertainment, filed a notice of registration for three inactive websites adressed as "SonicTheHedgehog-Movie.com", "SonicTheHedgehog-Movie.net" and "SonicTheHedgehogMovie.net". The registrations were reported by The Sonic Stadium on 7 December, but neither Sony Pictures nor Sega confirmed the existence of a proposed film project at the time of the domains' registrations.
On 20 March 2014, a film adaptation was first hinted when The Tracking Board released a rumor about the film, stating that it would receive a "Dark Knight treatment" and posted a writer shortlist of proposed writers involved. On 10 June 2014, the official Sonic website was updated, with a locked section listing "TV and Movies." Later that same day, at a private Sega/Sony Pictures press conference, The Hollywood Reporter reported the confirmation of the film, and that Sony had green-lit the project.
It was revealed on 21 June 2014 that Sonic the Hedgehog and its eventual successor films will be a separate continuity from the Sonic Boom continuity. On 19 November 2014, Van Robichaux stated that the film production team is "aiming for [a] PG-13 [rating]".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sonic-hedgehog-movie-works-at-710867
- ↑ http://www.tssznews.com/2014/06/10/confirmed-sony-to-produce-sonic-movie-series-sega-sammy-owned-marza-involved/
- ↑ Sega’s new era in entertainment. The Worldfolio (9 February 2016). Retrieved on 10 February 2016.
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/12/sony-pictures-have-registered-3-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-domains/
- ↑ http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-sonic-the-hedgehog-gets-the-dark-knight-treatment-and-a-writer-shortlist/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/official-sonic-website-hints-at-a-sonic-movie/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/sonic-movie-not-based-on-boom/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/11/movie-news-the-upcoming-and-the-cancelled/
- ↑ Zack (31 October 2016). Sonic movie reported to be a “hybrid CG-animated/live-action family film”. The Worldfolio. Retrieved on 31 October 2016.