- For other uses of the term "Sonic the Hedgehog," see Sonic the Hedgehog (disambiguation).
The upcoming untitled film adaptation based on Sonic the Hedgehog is being co-produced and financed by Paramount Pictures. The film, expected to be a CGI/live action hybrid film with the help of Sega's Marza Animation Planet unit, is being produced by Neal Moritz through his Original Film banner, with Tim Miller as executive producer. The screenplay, based on a storyline from Evan Susser and Van Robichaux, will be written by Patrick Casey and Josh Miller. It is the first entry to a planned film series. and was set for a 2018 release. However, on June 21, 2017, it was announced that the film was set to release in 2019.
Initially, Sony Pictures acquired the film rights to Sonic the Hedgehog from Sega in 2013, and officially gave the green-light at a private joint Sega/Sony Pictures press conference announcing the film on 10 June 2014. In October 2017, Sony switched the film rights to Paramount, who will retain the film's production staff.
On 3 December 2013, Sony Pictures Digital Domain Names, Inc., a division of Sony Pictures Entertainment, filed a notice of registration for three inactive websites adressed as "SonicTheHedgehog-Movie.com", "SonicTheHedgehog-Movie.net" and "SonicTheHedgehogMovie.net". The registrations were reported by The Sonic Stadium on 7 December, but neither Sony Pictures nor Sega confirmed the existence of a proposed film project at the time of the domains' registrations.
On 20 March 2014, a film adaptation was first hinted when The Tracking Board released a rumor about the film, stating that it would receive a "Dark Knight treatment" and posted a writer shortlist of proposed writers involved. On 10 June 2014, the official Sonic website was updated, with a locked section listing "TV and Movies." Later that same day, at a private Sega/Sony Pictures press conference, The Hollywood Reporter reported the confirmation of the film, and that Sony had green-lit the project.
It was revealed on 21 June 2014 that Sonic the Hedgehog and its eventual successor films will be a separate continuity from the Sonic Boom continuity. On 19 November 2014, Van Robichaux stated that the film production team is "aiming for [a] PG-13 [rating]".
On 2 October 2017, Viacom-owned Paramount Pictures announced that it had acquired the film rights to Sonic the Hedgehog from Sony, who had temporally shut down production before the switch after placing it into turnaround. This announcement came after co-producer Original Film signed a first-look production deal with Paramount the prior month, ending their previous deal with Sony. Variety also reported that Sony "let their film rights lapse" as a result of the turnaround. The production staff working on the film remain employed at this time. This is not the first time Paramount and Sega have crossed paths - from 1969 to 1983, both were subsidiaries of Gulf and Western Industries.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sonic-hedgehog-movie-works-at-710867
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Zack (31 October 2016). Sonic movie reported to be a "hybrid CG-animated/live-action family film". The Worldfolio. Retrieved on 31 October 2016.
- ↑ http://www.tssznews.com/2014/06/10/confirmed-sony-to-produce-sonic-movie-series-sega-sammy-owned-marza-involved/
- ↑ Sega’s new era in entertainment. The Worldfolio (9 February 2016). Retrieved on 10 February 2016.
- ↑ https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/06/the-sonic-movie-to-release-in-2019/
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sonic-hedgehog-movie-races-paramount-1044819
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/12/sony-pictures-have-registered-3-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-domains/
- ↑ http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-sonic-the-hedgehog-gets-the-dark-knight-treatment-and-a-writer-shortlist/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/official-sonic-website-hints-at-a-sonic-movie/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/sonic-movie-not-based-on-boom/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/11/movie-news-the-upcoming-and-the-cancelled/
- ↑ http://deadline.com/2017/09/neal-moritz-first-look-deal-paramount-pictures-1202162812/
- ↑ http://variety.com/2017/film/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-paramount-1202578346/