The main mode of the game. (See more below)
Speedrun in levels from Story Mode.
Play with up to four players from around the world in online play.
The only unlockable mode, a recreation of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
A long time ago, there was a land full of peace and wonder, until a new evil came and turned the world into terror. The only thing they couldn't torment was the golden prophecy which speaks of 4 heroes. (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow) As the heroes adventures grew stronger, the prophecy knew that it was time. Now several years later, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow are chilling after stopping Eggman. Then a portal sucks them into a cartoonish 2D world. When their, they meet an old man who tells them about the chaos that has been happening over the years. He gives them powers, then he dies, but then comes in the form of a spirit. He then becomes your guide (similar to Omochao) and the heroes quest begins.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Amy Rose (Unlockable)
- Silver the Hedgehog (Unlockable)
- Blaze the Cat (Unlockable)
- Espio the Chameleon (Unlockable)
- Rouge the Bat (Wi-Fi Mode only)
- Vector the Crocodile (Wi-Fi Mode only)
- Charmy Bee (Wi-Fi Mode only)
- Metal Sonic (Wi-Fi Mode only)
- Buzzle (a giant beetle)
- Locky (a 3 headed, 9 eyed snake)
- Muke (a mutated tomato)
- Dr. Eggman (in his new machine)
- Septh (the main antagonist, a transforming swirl of darkness)
Since production on a new Sonic Storybook game was in the process, Sega wasn't planning on any other further productions. Then the took the concept of making a 2D cartoonish side-scroller, with a touch of comical relief while keeping the concept of a storybook came Sonic's Storybook. But due to confusion of being part of the Sonic Storybook series, Sega then decided to get rid of the concept of a storybook but keep the 2D cartoonish feeling and changed the name to Sonic 2D Blast.
- The name is very similar to Sonic 3D Blast, although the game has nothing to do with it.