Sonic the Hedgehog 3D is a downloadable game which is a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 for the Playstation Network, XboxLive Arcade and WiiWare A retail game was released exclusively for the NIntendo 3DS.
There's no signifigant plot to the game, but it somehow ties into the original Sonic 3.
The plot in this game is almost the same as the original. The only changes are instead of Knuckles causing the mishaps it's Metal Sonic, who is also the final boss.
The gameplay in the downloadable version is a 3D straight forward platformer. The characters move forward automatically and can move left and right. To attack they jump on enemies in a ball formation (Similar to the original game).
The retail game is a 2D/3D platformer. The 2D gameplay is very similar to Sonic 3 and Sonic Generations, while the 3D gameplay is very similar to most other Sonic 3D platformers.
The game features all new zones based on the locations from Sonic 3.
- Mystical Jungle Zone
- Waterslide Zone
- Ruined Temples Zone
- Gamble Cards Zone
- Polarscape Zone
- Airship Wreck Zone
- Green Hill Zone/Stardust Speedway (Secret stage, boss stage)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Console and 3DS)
- Miles "Tails" Prower (Console and 3DS)
- Knuckles the Echidna (Console and 3DS)
- Shadow the Hedgehog (Console only)
- Amy Rose (Console only)
- Blaze the Cat (Console only)
- Silver the Hedgehog (Console only)
- Espio the Chameleon (Console only)
- Charmy Bee (Console only)
- Vector the Crocodile (Console only)
- Metal Sonic (Secret, console only)
- Classic Sonic (Secret, console and 3DS)