Mount Mobius is a location in Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball where the game's main storyline takes place.
It is asserted to be the highest mountain on Planet Mobius. It is a single, titanic volcano, rising up out of the sea, and has been taken over by Dr. Robotnik as his main base of operations and converted into a mechanical pinball fortress dubbed the Veg-O-Fortress.
What exactly Mt. Mobius looked like in its pristine, natural state is unknown, for the mountain makes its first appearance only after it has attracted the attentions of Doctor Robotnik. In the style of evil geniuses everywhere, the good Doctor decides that the loftiest peak of Mobius would provide an excellent site for another of his evil bases; the locale is all the more attractive due to the fact that Mt. Mobius' furious volcanism will provide ample electricity for his deranged schemes.
Thus, by the time Sonic and Tails arrive, the towering spire of rock has been mechanized into the Veg-O-Fortress. After pretty much everything inside the Veg-O-Fortress gets wrecked during the events of Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball, Robotnik's artificial facility collapses. The end sequence of the game shows Mt. Mobius and the remnants of the Veg-O-Fortress falling beneath the waves. Consequently, the mountain is destroyed.
Places of interest
- Toxic Caves: A stinky cavern full of toxic sludge and minecarts, which just so happens to be the place where Robotnik dumps all of the industrial waste.
- Lava Powerhouse: A power station of sorts that uses magma and steam energy to run various machines.
- The Machine: At the industrial heart of the Veg-O-Fortress lies an immense, automated Badnik production plant, complete with mass-robot producer and a central prison for those Animals yet to be 'processed'.
- Showdown: A launch pad at the summit of the mountain, where Robotnik attempts to escape aboard his spaceship.
In other media
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Mount Mobius is also the name of the tallest mountain in the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog series. Robotnik used the mind-controlled ape known as Big Daddy to install a laser on top of the mountain, with which he could intimidate and control the people of Mobius. However, Sonic managed to deactivate the laser by draining its batteries. Meanwhile, the Veg-O-Fortress (which was called the "Pinball Fortress") appeared in the episode "Attack on the Pinball Fortress".
Sonic the Hedgehog (TV series)
In an early Sonic the Hedgehog bible written by Len Janson, the Roboticizer is referred to as "Veg-o". It is also mentioned there that Bunnie Rabbot was roboticized there. However, the Veg-O-Fortress appeared in the episode "Game Guy" where it was referred to as "The Fortress".
Sonic the Comic
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (Sega Genesis) Japanese Instruction Manual, p. 4-5.
- ↑ Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episode 10, "Big Daddy"