|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Walter Naugus is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He is a powerful troll magician who seeks to become the ruler of the Kingdom of Acorn. During his time as King Acorn's Royal Wizard, he was banished to the Special Zone and was trapped for years until he eventually escaped. After escaping, Naugus became an immediate enemy of Sonic the Hedgehog who has regularly thwarted his plans to take over the Kingdom of Acorn.
Concept and creation
Walter Naugus appears as a tall, gruesome troll with bat ears, a rhinoceros horn emerging from his forehead, a long white beard, a gloved lobster claw in place of a left hand, and a thick tail. Originally, he wore a purple suit with a long black cape, glove on his right hand, belt, and boots. He later adopted a new wardrobe that included a purple tunic, purple pants, gray gloves and boots, a cape, and a stereotypical wizard/witch hat with a large brim and a point that falls to one side.
Naugus served as the Royal Wizard to King Acorn at the time when Princess Sally was a young child. However, his ambition led him to seek conquest of the Kingdom of Acorn, and he formed an alliance with renegade G.U.N. scientists Dr. Eggman and Dr. Julian Snively. The trio worked together in an effort to overthrow the kingdom by convincing the king that the United Federation intended to invade. Eggman's successes proved detrimental to his partner, as both Naugus and his former monarch were imprisoned in the Special Zone by the villainous doctor. He eventually escaped and, teaming up with his twin sister Wendy, ambushed both Eggman and Sonic the Hedgehog at the Egg Storm Chamber, and took them hostage, leaving Sonic's young friend Miles "Tails" Prower to rescue the pair.
Some time later, Eggman initiated the first Genesis Wave, which split the planet into pocket zones, during which Walter was caught within one of the rifts between them. The wave's effects were soon reversed by Sonic, but the wizard' time in the rift had left him bereft of his powers. After his attempt to restore his powers through the gems at the Hidden Palace Zone proved futile, he sought help from his arch-nemesis in his desperation, only for the doctor to merely laugh in his face and have his Egg SWAT escort him out.
In retaliation, Walter helped himself to some of Eggman's devices, and returned to Wendy for her guidance. The plan that the pair formulated saw Walter using the stolen technology to take on the form of King Nigel and supplant him, using his rule as a means to finding a way to restore his powers. The King's daughter Sally Acorn grew suspicious of her fathers odd behavior, however, and sent Nicole the Holo-Lynx to investigate, forcing Naugus' hand. He used it to his advantage however, forcing the captive A.I. to construct a special Power Ring for him to restore his powers with, but Mobotropolis was soon attacked by the transformed Tails Doll, sent by Eggman in revenge for stealing his tech which, to make matters worse for the wizard, was followed by the return of Sonic and Tails to the city. It was at this moment that Eggman unleashed the second Genesis Wave...
Countdown to Chaos
- Note: From the readers point of view, this picks up from where Naugus' original timeline ended.
Initially unaware that anything had just happened, Naugus grew more desperate as his enemies closed in, forcing him to physically threaten Nicole to finish her work, but upon contact with her computer form, his mind was flooded with memories from an alternate timeline. Horrified, he fled the castle, running right past Sonic and Tails as he made his way out of the city.
Shattered World Crisis
During the Shattered World Crisis that followed, he apparently obtained a shard of the Master Emerald that restored at least some of his powers, and joined forces with Wendy Naugus and her Witchcarters, and the pair of Trolls proceeded to invade Eggman's new facility of Eggmanland.
Eggman, accompanied by Metal Sonic, eventually arrived the scene to investigate the conquered Eggmanland. After a brief clash with the Witchcarters, the Naugus twins appeared on the scene and Walter revealed at by using Master Emerald Shards he was to restore some of his power. Soon both twins were able to subdue both Eggman and Metal Sonic, forcing Eggman to flee. The Naugus' occupation of Eggman's facility would not go unchallenged long, as Eggman assembled his entire complement of Egg Bosses to retake Eggmanland. Walter was later seen at the center of Eggmanland in front of the Dark Gaia Energy refinery, believing its energy belonged to Ixis, only to be mocked and informed by his sister that it was of the Dark Gaia. Before he could use the energy to help restore his power however, he was interrupted by an ambush set up by Eggman and his Egg Bosses. During the ensuing battle, Naugus sent Crystal Sonic (a crystallized Metal Sonic) to kill Eggman. However, the doctor survived using his Hard-Light Armor, which he then used to beat Naugus into submission. Afterwards, Eggman prepared to kill Naugus with a powerful energy beam. However, Naugus used Crystal Sonic as a shield, blocking the blast and used the commotion as a distraction to flee. Naugus retreated to a hidden part of the Mystic Cave Zone where he cursed Eggman's name and expressed anger towards Wendy, who became Eggman's newest Egg Boss. However, while his plans for Eggmanland failed, Naugus knew of other ways to restore his power as he began draining energy from a large gem resembling the Master Emerald.
Eventually, Naugus' location was discovered by Knuckles the Echidna, Amy Rose, and Team Dark who were all on the hunt for the alien Eclipse and the remaining Master Emerald Shards. Naugus hid in the shadows and quickly formed a plan after overhearing Rouge the Bat mention that Knuckles was the last of his kind. Naugus followed E-123 Omega and asked if he was affiliated with Eggman, to which Omega aggressively denied before Naugus crystallized him. Under his control, Walter commanded Crystal Omega to seek and destroy Rouge and Amy while he went after Knuckles and Shadow the Hedgehog. Naugus then assumed the form of an echidna and confronted the pair, claiming his name was Nixus and that he was also searching for the emerald shards so he could get to Angel Island. Knuckles was thrilled to met another echidna while Shadow questioned the convenience of his arrival and situation.
Rouge then contacted Shadow and told him that she and Amy were under attack and needed assistance. However "Nixus" did not want to risk damaging the shards by going into combat. Knuckles agreed with Nixus and decided to go with him to a safe location to restore the Master Emerald while Shadow goes to help the others. However, upon arriving in an empty chamber, Nixus double-crossed Knuckles, took his shards and crystallized the echidna. Nixus then revealed himself as Naugus and tried to assemble the Master Emerald but to no avail. He then came up with the idea of controlling Knuckles' mind so that the latter could tell him how to fix the Master Emerald. Instead, Knuckles broke free and proceeded to attack Naugus. The wizard quickly reminded Knuckles that his comrades were still in danger which momentarily distracted the echidna and allowed Naugus to knock him out of the chamber. Walter then quickly sealed the entrance with crystals.
Naugus is ruthless, arrogant, and power-mad, willing to go to great lengths to obtain what he wants. He also dislikes being called "Wally," though the reason behind this is unknown.
Powers and abilities
Walter possesses Crystalmancy, which allows him to encase his opponents in crystal and control any crystallized robots within range. Walter can also shapeshift and control the minds of anyone with a weak will or weak mind.
- Walter Naugus is based on Naugus from the Sonic the Hedgehog television series.
- Naugus is one of three Sonic the Hedgehog characters to have their names added to/changed since the Worlds Collide crossover. The other characters are Muttski - now Ben Muttski - and Snively Robotnik - now Julian Snively.
- Naugus' new name of "Walter" and disdained nickname "Wally" are intended to be alliterative with relatives of Naugus' in the new reality, which was later revealed to be Wendy Naugus.
- Naugus was one of several characters featured in a "classic cartoon" depiction art gallery in Sonic Super Special Magazine #11, in which he was depicted in black and white as a magician with a wand and top hat.
- In the original continuity where Walter Naugus was named "Ixis Naugus", Ian Flynn has revealed that, contrary to what was previously believed, the term "Ixis" was applied to Naugus in the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon production materials, and not invented by Ken Penders. As such, it is still usable by the comics, which as of Sonic Universe #85, has been given to Ixis.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Universe #83, "Letter from the editor"
- ↑ Ian Flynn (8 January 2015). Naugus Is Now A Troll and the Troll Civlization. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015.
- ↑ Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2014, "Sonic Comic Origins: Sally--The Exiled Leader"
- ↑ Sonic Super Digest #12, "Sonic Comic Origins: The Traitor"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic Universe #83, "Eggman's Dozens Part One: Hostile Takeover"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sonic Universe #89, "Shattered Part Three: Lost & Found"
- ↑ Sonic Advance 3
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #252, "At All Costs Part 2: A New Lease on Life"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #276, "Back in Business"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #84, "Eggman's Dozen Part Two: Power Meeting"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Sonic Universe #85, "Eggman's Dozen Part Three: Team Management"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #86, "Eggman's Dozen Finale: Synergizing"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #87, "Shattered Part One: Closing In"
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Sonic Universe #88, "Shattered Part Two: Lies & Half-Truths"
- ↑ Ian Flynn (10 January 2015). Naugus Is Now A Troll and the Troll Civlization. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 21 April 2015.