The Weather Globe is essentially the Egg Mobile, but with extra components. Basically, its lower section is covered in a gray casing with a black bottom while the cockpit is covered by a glass dome. It also has spinning blue windmill plates on the side and a thunder ray on the bottom.
Features and traits
Besides being able to levitate and move around in midair, the Weather Globe possesses no offensive capabilities of its own. Instead, its acts as the command module for a weather simulator which can produce rainfalls with miniature thunderclouds that shoot lightning, winds with enough strength to lift someone as heavy as Knuckles off their feet, and heatwaves measuring over 700 °C.
Although capable of handling weather phenomenon like rainfall and strong winds, the Weather Globe cannot withstand extreme heat waves (like those it instigates), which cause the Weather Globe to temporarily overheat.
The Weather Globe was used by Dr. Eggman to battle Sonic, Tails and Knuckles when they entered his weather simulator in Studiopolis Zone. However, the trio stopped the weather simulator by destroying the Weather Globe's casing, leaving Eggman to retreat in his Egg Mobile.
The battle begins with a widescreen television turning on in the background, while Dr. Eggman enters the arena with the Weather Globe.
The arena contains large background wall with sideways poles on both sides and a widescreen television in the center. The battle begins when the player enters a room. At that point, the TV will turn on and start up with weather forecast of Eggman's private television (Egg TV). Eggman uses a Cluckoid on the monitor to activate one of three weather conditions in the room, while he hovers around the arena in the Weather Globe. The Cluckoid gives the following weather announcements:
- Wind: The windy weather condition causes a powerful updraft that will sweep the player to the top of the arena where there are Spikes on the roof. The player can avoid this by grabbing onto the poles at either side of the monitor. Eggman will move around the arena faster while rising further below Spikes.
- Heat: The heat weather condition causes large headlamps to drop down and radiate the majority of the room, except in the column where Eggman is being positioned. The heat will also cause the Weather Globe to descend, giving the player an opportunity to hit the Weather Globe. Placing the playable character on the radiated parts of the arena will damage the player.
- Lightning: The thunderstorm weather condition makes Eggman summon three clouds that shoot bolts of lightning at the player. The clouds themselves do not damage the player until they start create lightning bolts.
The player can do a Spin Jump on the Weather Globe at almost any of these moments. Prior to the weather announcements and during thunder cloud conditions, the player can barely reach the bottom side of the Weather Globe, unless Sonic or Tails are in their super forms (Super Knuckles still cannot reach the Weather Globe). During the windy weather condition, the player can land a few hits while hanging on the sideways pole by letting go to the right when Eggman is hovering above. Doing this will bounce the playable character back to the pole.
|Eggman Boss 2||Tee Lopes||2:17|
- The test card shown after defeating the boss is a call back to the live-stream shown during the Sonic the Hedgehog 25th anniversary event. The buzzing sound heard as the card is displayed is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the sound issues that occurred during the live stream.
- Both the buzzing and test card are also likely a reference to when television programmes are either on standby or experiencing "technical difficulties".
- If the test card is looked closely at after the boss is defeated, the number "072216" can be seen. This is the date the event took place; 22 July 2016.
- The word SEGA can also be seen below the monitor screen.
- The sun symbol used in the weather forecast is a reference to a similar symbol seen in manuals for Sega Mega Drive games which was used to warn owners about exposing game cartridges to direct sunlight.
- In the game files of Sonic Mania, the Weather Globe is designated as the Weather Mobile, much like the similarly named Spider Mobile.