|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Breaking and entering is my specialty.
— Willy Walrus, "Dude, Where's My Eggman?"
Willy Walrus is a character that appears in the Sonic Boom television series. He is an anthropomorphic walrus and a dangerous, yet small-minded criminal roaming Seaside Island. He is also a prominent member of the Lightning Bolt Society.
Willy is a humanoid walrus who is a little less than a head smaller than Dr. Eggman. He has pale lavender fur and is stockily built with broad shoulders, thick arms, somewhat short and thick legs and a slightly round gut. He also has a large pale peach muzzle with a black snout, purple eyes and two noticeably large and vertical tusks. For attire, he wears white gloves and light brown boots. His silhouette also bears a striking resemblance to Dr. Eggman's.
When attending the Lightning Bolt Society, Willy wears a purple robe with a long hood and a red fez emblazoned with the Lightning Bolt Society's symbol.
During his life, Willy Walrus would be mistaken for the infamous Dr. Eggman all the time. Picking a career as a thief and crook, Willy would end up getting caught rather often and spent much of his time in jail. He eventually joined the Lightning Bolt Society and would help his group search Eggman's trash for noteworthy objects.
On a trip to the Village Center, Willy met Eggman and struck a pleasant conversation with him. Hearing Eggman was going to break into the helium warehouse, Willy offered his help. When they got in though, the police arrived and Willy got arrested after they split up. A day and a half later, Willy was broken out from jail by Orbot and Cubot, who mistook him for Eggman. Escaping the police with Orbot and Cubot, Willy thanked the duo before telling them about Eggman upon their request.
When Willy and the Lightning Bolts heard that Tails destroyed an orchard, they believed him to be evil and sought to recruit him. Once they got him to join them in their clubhouse after helping him reseed an orchard, Willy made Tails their new leader. As Tails revealed he was not evil, Sonic, Amy and Eggman intruded, and Willy was commanded by Eggman to attack Sonic. However, his attempted utterly failed and the heroes escaped. Some time later, Willy and the Lightning Bolt Society heard from the Tree Spy that Eggman had abandoned his lair, so they took over the lair. However, Willy could hardly figure out the lair's systems as he and his allies lounged about, causing many random attacks on Seaside Island. Seeing on surveillance that Team Sonic and Eggman planned to stop them, Willy and the Lightning Bolts prepared an ambush, but got outsmarted, making Willy flee the lair with his group.
Assembled with the Lightning Bolt Society, Willy heard from the Tree Spy that Sonic had retired and Team Sonic was out of town. Seizing this opportunity, Willy harassed the villagers alongside his lodge and eventually set sheep on a stampede through town. However, they were thwarted once Sonic returned. With the villagers telling them to give up trying to be bad guys, Wily said an "insult" that got him and the Lightning Bolts sent to Amy's sensitivity seminar. Willy and the Lightning Bolts later tried pranking the villagers with coins glued to the ground, although Dave did not participate. Though Willy fell for the prank himself, he and the group got to see others fall for it too. Willy later came to the Robot Battle Royale to watch the tournament, where he saw Eggman steal Tails' Hypno-bot at the end.
Eventually, Willy joined the Lightning Bolt Society and other local rogues and villains at a meeting held by Eggman at his lair, who wanted them to form a team to beat Team Sonic. After some leadership disputes leading to team exercises, Willy helped encourage Eggman to lead the group so they could prove themselves after Shadow the Hedgehog had left the group criticizing them. As Team Eggman attacked Team Sonic, Willy separated Tails from his team by engaging him and his plane in an aerial battle with Moth Bot, until Willy crashed into a mountain.
Willy is a loud, stoic, and dangerous fellow and is said to have an evil laugh, but he is not very competent as a villain and is very much a dolt, falling prey to even his own prank only moments after setting it. Though evil, he generally treats others well and is a honeydripper who can easily keep up civilized conversations.
While too incompetent to perform exceeding acts of violence, Willy revels in destruction and anarchy, and openly enjoys committing crime simply for the sake of it, like when he joined Eggman's burglary on a whim. He similarly likes talking about his skills as a burglar and enjoys a good jailbreak.
Powers and abilities
According to himself, Willy's specialty lies in breaking and entering. However, he has admitted that he is not so good at exiting, such as breaking out of jails. Under Eggman's tutorlege, Willy has as well acquired a degree of piloting skills, going head-to-head with Tails in an aerial battle using Moth Bot.
- Team Sonic
- Dr. Eggman
- "Thanks for the help, fellas. I always appreciate a good jailbreak"
- —Willy thanking Orbot and Cubot, "Dude, Where's My Eggman?"
- "Whoah. Who's this handsome fella?"
- —Willy when meeting Dr. Eggman, "Dude, Where's My Eggman?"
- "Breaking and entering is my specialty, but I'm not so good at exiting."
- —Willy Walrus, "Dude, Where's My Eggman?"
- Willy Walrus bears a resemblance to Rotor the Walrus. However, it is stated by Bill Freiberger that the developers of Sonic Boom do not draw inspiration from characters outside the mainstream Sonic continuity, so this resemblance is purely coincidental.
- The character's name may be a nod of the Walter Lantz character, Wally Walrus.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (24 January 2015). "Dude, Where's My Eggman?". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 10. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Milano, Dan (7 March 2015). "How to Succeed in Evil Without Really Trying". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 16. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (14 November 2015). "It Takes a Village to Defeat a Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 52. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reed (16 May 2015). "Eggman Unplugged". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 26. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (22 July 2015). "Just a Guy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 34. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harrison, Reid (1 August 2015). "Next Top Villain". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 37. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Van Liemt, Romain; Grenier, Benoit (26 September 2015). "Robot Battle Royale". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 45. Cartoon Network.