Wind is an element that has appeared in various games, acting both as power ups and attacks for the player, as well as acting as hazards common among Sky themed stages where they cause various hazards which the player has to overcome.
Hazards and Obstacles
While wind doesn't appear much as an obstacle or hazard, it is still present in some aspects. More often than not, wind will not even harm the player, but will instead simply slow them down as they blow against the player, and this is best demonstrated in the Levitated Ruin stage in Sonic and the Secret Rings, where the player is consistently fighting against the wind. Such winds can also send the player on diffrent paths.
Eggman has also shown to utilize this via robots such as the Egg Typhoon, whic create massive gusts of wind to blow away the player.
Powers and Abilities
In a number of games, Wind has been incorporated as a special power or gimmick that the player can use in conjunction with their attacks for more potency or as a separate power/powerup to enhance the player's performance. These sort of abilities are primarily seen being used by Sonic the Hedgehog, as he is often described being like the wind.
Sonic Adventure 2
In Sonic Adventure 2 , there is a section in radical highway where unseen winds will blow Shadow upwards constantly, preventing him from falling to his death. These winds can be used to get through the lower route of the unfinished bridge area.
Sonic Advance 2
In Sonic Advance 2, wind currents are seen in Sky Canyon, where they will send the player to higher grounds.
In Sonic Heroes, each Speed Type has a variation of the Tornado Jump where they can trap an enemy in a funnel of wind. It is from this ability they can blow enemies upwards and take fall damage or make them reveal their weaker areas. Can also be used to ascend poles or other certain wind powered obsticals.
Shadow the Hedgehog
In Shadow the Hedgehog , winds are present in stages such as the Glyphic Canyons, where they levitate the player in the air, preventing them from falling and allowing them to reach higher grounds. The tornado in the level also creates winds that will not only go against the player's motions, but it also sends rocks and debris hurling towards the player.
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
In the 2006 game Sonic the Hedgehog you can purchase Gems which grant your Custom Shoes various abilities. The Green Gem grants the Tornado ability, to create a funnel of wind around you to draw in and destroy destructable objects and enemies.
Sonic Rivals series
In Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rivals 2 , a Wind power up is available to all playable characters. When used offensively, the wind attack will travel forward and trap the opponent in a tornado for a limited time. When used defensively, the result is the same, except that it is dropped on the floor and will only work if the opponent touhes it.
Sonic and the Secret Rings
In Sonic and the Secret Rings, wind currents are seen in Levitated Ruin, where they push against the player, preventing them from running at top speed. The best way to battle these winds, the player can grind or use the homing attack on various targets.
- Charger Forward: Acceleration increases.
- All-Rounder: Reduces speed loss caused by rugged terrain.
- Quick Step: Ground movement to the left and right becomes smoother.
- Quick High Step: Allows you to move more smoothly than with Quick Step.
- Quick Mega Step: Allows you to move more smoothly than with Quick High-Step.
- Quick Air: Aerial movement to the left and right becomes smoother.
- Super Quick Air: Allows you to fly more smoothly than with Quick Air.
- Hyper Quick Air: Aerial you to fly more smoothly than with Super Quick Air.
- Turbo Boost: Acceleration rate to top speed increases.
- Rocket Boost: Acceleration increases more than with Turbo Boost
- Warp Boost: Acceleration increases more than with Rocket Boost.
- Sub W-Boost: Acceleration to top speed increases but defense is greatly reduced
- Speed-Up: Maximum speed increases.
- Super Speed-Up: Increases your maximum more than with Speed-Up.
- Hyper Speed-Up: Increases your maximum more than with Super Speed-Up.
- Sub HS-Up: Maximum speed increases but defense is greatly reduced.
- Landing Dash: Initial speed increases when landing.
- Landing Turbo: Initial speed increases more than with Landing Dash.
- Landing Boost: Initial speed increases more than with Landing Turbo.
- Cancel Dash: When landing off a Jump Cancel, your initial speed increases.
- Cancel Turbo: Initial speed increases after landing more than with Cancel Dash.
- Cancel Burst: Initial speed increases after landing more than with Cancel Turbo.
- Splash Jump: Allows you to jump when you strike an obstacle in midair.
- Quick Jump: Decreases charge time required for Charge Jump.
- Sub Q-Jump: Decreases time required for Charge Jump but defense is greatly reduced.
- Aegis Slider: Increases defense power while sliding.
- Quick Slide: Movement to the left and right during sliding is smoother.
- Quick High Slide: Makes right-left movement smoother than with Quick Slide.
- Quick Mega Slide: Makes right-left movement smoother than with Quick High Slide.
- Skimmer: Decreases drop in speed when sliding.
- Super Skimmer: Decreases your rate of deceleration more than with Skimmer.
- Hyper Skimmer: Decreases your rate of deceleration more than with Super Skimmer.
- Surge: Sonic's automatic acceleration during Time Break increases.
- Super Surge: Increases movement speed more than with Surge.
- Hyper Surge: Increases movement speed more than with Super Surge.
- Sub H Surge: Sonic's acceleration during Time Break increases but Soul use increases.
- Hard Break: Allows for more effective braking.
- Back Step: Press the 2 Button while moving back to Back Step.
- Balance: Automatic recovery after taking damage.
- Down Cancel: Press the 2 Button when taking damage to negate knockdown.
- Mini-Turbo: Quickly move the Wii Remote forward when countdown is at 1 for a boost.
- Rocket Start: Faster speed burst than Mini-Turbo.
- Warp Dash: Faster speed burst than Rocket Start.
- Quick Grind: Using Grind increases Grind speed.
- Fast Grind: Increases acceleration more than with Quick Grind.
- Mach Grind: Increases acceleration more than with Fast Grind.
- Sub M-Grind: Maximum grind speed increases but gradually consumes Rings when in use.
- Crest of Wind: Unlocks the power of wind if you equip 10 wind-based skills.
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
The Chao, Seeri , when bonded to a character, will provide said character with a Wind shield, provdiing them with better defenses.
In the 3DS version, in the Emerald Coast level, there are some areas with air currents that lift Sonic up into the air in a manner similar to fans.