Stages with a winter theme take place in icy or snowy environments, possibly mountainous or underground. Surfaces are often slippery, and the levels may include long slopes down which characters must run, slide or snowboard. Obstacles, enemies and bosses may take advantage of the slippery terrain, or may be equipped with weapons that can freeze the player, taking advantage of the temperature. A prominent feature of a winter theme is that in most Sonic games is usually the fourth or fifth zone of the game.
Stages with a winter theme
- Icy Isle, SegaSonic the Hedgehog (1993)
- Ice Cap Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994) - This zone is a good example of the winter theme, incorporating all of the elements that define such levels.
- Robotnik Winter Zone, Sonic Triple Trouble (1994)
- Diamond Dust Zone, Sonic 3D (1996)
- Aurora Icefield, Sonic the Fighters (1996)
- White Frost Zone, Sonic X-treme (Scrapped)
- Ice Cap, Sonic Adventure (1998)
- Ice Mountain Zone, Sonic Advance (2001) - This zone also incorporates underwater areas.
- Ice Paradise, Sonic Advance 2 (2002)
- Twinkle Snow, Sonic Advance 3 (2004) - This zone also incorporates underwater areas like Ice Mountain Zone.
- Ice Factory, Sonic Riders (2006) - This course mainly features an industrial setting.
- Crystal Mountain Zone, Sonic Rivals (2006)
- White Acropolis, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Blizzard Peaks, Sonic Rush Adventure, (2007)
- Snowy Kingdom, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (2008)
- Cool Edge, Sonic Unleashed (2008)
- White Park Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II (2012) - This zone also incorporates elements of the amusement park theme and the underwater theme. The winter elements predominate in Act 1.
- Frozen Factory, Sonic Lost World (2013) - Mainly predominates in Zones 1 (which also incorporates elements of the industrial theme), 2 and 4.