Stages with the winter theme take place in icy or snowy environments, possibly mountainous or underground. Surfaces are often slippery, and the levels may include long slopes down which characters must run, slide or snowboard. Obstacles, enemies and bosses may take advantage of the slippery terrain, or may be equipped with weapons that can freeze the player, taking advantage of the temperature.
Despite the Icy Isle from SegaSonic the Hedgehog is the first ice-themed zone, Ice Cap Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is the first appearance of a winter-themed level. A similar level, the Winter Zone, had been planned for Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but, in the end, the idea was not used.
Stages with a winter themeEdit
- Icy Isle, SegaSonic the Hedgehog (1993)
- Ice Cap Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994) - This zone is a good example of the winter theme, incorporating all of the elements that define such levels.
- Robotnik Winter Zone, Sonic Triple Trouble (1994)
- Diamond Dust Zone, Sonic 3D (1996)
- Aurora Icefield, Sonic the Fighters (1996)
- Ice Cap, Sonic Adventure (1998)
- City Escape, Sonic Adventure 2 (2001) - In the Downtown 2-Player Mode, the entire stage is covered with snow.
- Ice Mountain Zone, Sonic Advance (2001) - This zone also incorporates underwater areas.
- Ice Paradise, Sonic Advance 2 (2002)
- Twinkle Snow, Sonic Advance 3 (2004)
- Ice Factory, Sonic Riders (2006) - This stage features an industrial setting, as Egg Factory is frozen over.
- Crystal Mountain Zone, Sonic Rivals (2006)
- White Acropolis, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Snowy Kingdom, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (2008)
- Cool Edge, Sonic Unleashed (2008)
- White Park Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II (2012) - This zone also incorporates elements of the amusement park theme and the underwater theme. The winter elements predominate in Act 1