Wisp Capsules are small red capsules that were created by Dr. Eggman with a clear top for holding one or more Wisps. Wisp Capsules are found throughout the stages in Sonic Colors. The most common Wisps are White Wisps. Most Wisp Capsules hold about 4 or 5 White Wisps. There are also capsules shown to be completely transparent, with nothing inside it, and being a certain color, which signifies the specific Wisp hasn't been encountered yet. After Sonic breaks open a Wisp Capsule, another one may appear later in the stage to take its place. At the end of some of the stages in Sonic Colors, there is a giant Wisp Capsule, called a Prison Capsule, which holds many White Wisps. Once the Prison Capsule is broken open, the stage ends. Wisp Capsules also made an appearance in Sonic Generations in Planet Wisp. They also appear in Sonic Lost World.
- Wisp Capsules reappear in the Sonic Generations stages Planet Wisp (on consoles) and Tropical Resort (on the 3DS).
- If a Wisp Capsule contains a Wisp other than a White Wisp, then there is only one Wisp. But if the Wisp Capsule contains White Wisps, there are as many as five Wisps.
- In one cutscene, Dr. Eggman is counting the number of Wisps he has kidnapped. The Wisps are stored in enormous Wisp Capsules, larger than a standard wisp Capsule.
- If Sonic is using a specific Color Power, say, Pink Spikes, and collects a Wisp Capsule containing a Pink Wisp, then the Wisp Gauge will be replenished. But if he collects any other color Wisp besides the color he is currently using, then he cannot use that Color Power until he is finished with the Pink Spikes.
- The Prison Capsule seems to take the place of the capsule from the earlier games.