Yoshi is a green dinosaur from Yoshi's Island. For many years he has been a loyal friend and ally to Mario. Yoshi is known for kindness and bravery as he has helped defend the world and rescue captives from the evil Bowser many times. Yoshi has appeared alongside Mario in every one of his cross-overs with Sonic the Hedgehog.
Yoshi and his species are famous with their long tongues. They can also do the Flutter Jump which can go higher than Mario's Jump. His Flutter Jump can be done by jumping and running in thin air but in a few seconds, Yoshi can get weary and fall to the ground.
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Yoshi was one of the many heroes who took on Cranky Kong's video game hero challenge in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. He placed in the top three (along with Mario and Link or Diddy Kong depending on how well the player ranked). At the time of this game Nintendo and SEGA were bitter rivals in the console wars, thus Nintendo placed Sonic's shoes next to a trash can labeled "No Hopers". (Earthworm Jim's gun is also there.)
While competing in the Olympic Games, Yoshi met Tails. Upon being matched up for a game of table tennis, the two became very competitive. Fortunately due to the friendly nature of both sidekicks, they came out in good humor and high spirits, evidence being that they are later seen side by side, smiling and raising their fists in enthusiasm and joy. Despite Yoshi and Vector both being green lizards, no friendship or meeting between them has ever officially been established.
Yoshi is a speed type character along with Sonic, Shadow and Daisy. After speed he has a pretty decent skill level leaving his power and Stamina to be a satisfactory. Yoshi stands as one of the more well rounded speed characters. His Emblem and flag is the famous Yoshi egg. This is also his symbol in the Super Smash Bros. series.
Yoshi has missions both in DS and Wii versions
- Build as much power as you can to throw from the center when ! mark appears once in Hammer throw
- Jump from the blue zone two times and clear the bar in High jump
- Parry 6 opponent's attacks and win in fencing
- Continue a rally with 15 shots with your opponent in table tennis
- Finish between 48-50 seconds in 100m freestyle
- Enter to the water feet-first (entry angle from 170 to 180 degrees) in 10M platform
- Don't let your opponent score points (2 is okay, but third point ends mission) in Table tennis
- Enter 32 or more performance commands in Trampoline
- Make five consecutive succesful shots in Dream Basketball
- Gather 20 coins within 60 seconds in Dream canoe
- Defeat Tails in 400m hurdles
Making his 3rd playable appearance in the Super Smash Bros. Series, Yoshi is a fast and heavy fighter with strong smash attacks and amazing jumping ability.
- Standard: Egg Lay
- Snag enemies with your tongue and render them briefly immobile within eggs.
- Side: Egg Roll
- Control direction and speed with te Control Stick. Break out with B Button.
- Up: Egg Throw
- Increase thow distance by holding down the B Button. Adust the throw height with the Control Stick.
- Down: Ground Pound
- Jump forwards and up, then slam down in a flash.
- Final Smash: Super Dragon
- Sprout wings and fly. Yoshi will spew fire on his own, but you can launch fireballs on command with any attack button.
Yoshi first appears after meeting Link when suddenly, the forest is overrun by Primids. Yoshi and Link then fight off the Primids. A Shadow Bug copy of Princess Peach/Princess Zelda then attacks Link/Mario (depending on how the first level was played). If the player fought Princess Peach, Link and Yoshi would fight her and trophicate her. Mario and Pit then discover what happened to Princess Peach. Mario jumps and punches the ground with might. And vice versa if the player fought Zelda. Yoshi and Link then team up with Mario, Pit and Kirby. Towards the end of a long journey, Yoshi and his teammates enter Subspace, only to to have Tabuu turn everyone into trophies. Yoshi was rescued by Kirby, who had been revived by one of Dedede's badges that he had eaten. Yoshi then joins everyone to battle Tabuu, but unfortunately they are no match. Unexpectedly Tabuu receives a spin dash delivered by none other than Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic's attack shatters Tabuu's wings leaving him vulnerable for the final battle.
Sonic stickers usable by this character
|Rouge the Bat||Sonic Adventure 2: Battle||[Tail] - Attack+10
Usable by: Yoshi, Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Pokémon Trainer
Yoshi returns for the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver. According to the third trailer for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Yoshi has formed a new friendship with Silver the Hedgehog . In the DS Adventure Tours, Yoshi will challenge Mario and Sonic to a Skeleton match and then join their group. Yoshi uses his extra long tongue to open a gate in Sparkleton.
"Yoshi is Mario's friend living on Yoshi Island and usually accompanies Mario and Luigi on their Adventures. Yoshi will put forward great effort in the Olympic Winter Games with his Flutter Jump Ability on the Wii and DS and his Thrash Dash Ability on the DS."
|Icon||Name||Ability Type||Wii Stats||DS Stats||Special||Emblem|
Yoshi makes another appearance, again competing in the Olympics for a third time. He remains a speed type character, just as in the first two games.
"Yoshi is Mario's friend living on Yoshi's Island and sometimes accompanies Mario and Luigi on their adventures. Yoshi will put great effort in the London 2012 Olympic Games with his new abilities."
- Yoshi was first introduced in Super Mario World around the same time that Sonic the Hedgehog made his game debut.
- In Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Yoshi was among the only characters to not receive new artwork. (Along with Wario and Waluigi)
- Yoshi appears in the fake screenshot of Sonic and Tails in Super Smash Bros. Melee, printed in Electronic Gaming Monthly as an April Fools joke.
- ↑ Yoshi's catch phrase
|Sega Characters||NiGHTS | Reala | Alex Kidd | Amigo | Aiai | MeeMee | Beat | Gum | Billy Hatcher | Ulala | Pudding | AGES | Bonanza Bros.|
|Nintendo Characters||Mario | Luigi | Donkey Kong | Yoshi | Princess Peach | Princess Daisy | Bowser | Bowser Jr. | Wario | Waluigi | Toad | Mii|
|Other||Xbox 360 Avatar | Santa Claus | Danica Patrick|