in other media
155 cm (5' 1")
80 kg (146.4 lb)
Red, black, cyan
Purple with pale yellow sclera
Black and grey spike bracelets
|Alignment and character traits|
|Powers and abilities|
Zavok (ザボック Zabokku?) is one of the primary antagonists in Sonic Lost World. He is a Zeti and the leader of the Deadly Six. When Dr. Eggman came to the Lost Hex, Zavok and the other members of the Deadly Six were forced into serving the doctor due to the effects of the Cacophonic Conch. After Sonic the Hedgehog arrived and got rid of the conch, Zavok and the others rebelled against Eggman and took control of his forces. Zavok then enacted his plan to achieve world domination by using Eggman's Extractor to make himself and the other Deadly Six stronger, while destroying Earth, but was ultimately defeated by Sonic.
Zavok is a red Zeti with a very stocky build. The majority of his upper body is pure red, as is his serpentine tail. He has five-fingered hands that end with sharp cyan-colored nails. Zavok's body from the waist down is black in coloration, ending in two-clawed feet with cyan toes. His head is relatively small compared to the rest of his body and his lower jaw sticks out, showing a row of spiked fangs. The upper half of his head is black save for red markings around his eyes, which are purple with yellow sclera. Zavok has what appears to be a relatively thick cyan-colored unibrow that forms a vaguely V-shaped crest. Sticking out from the sides of his head, Zavok has two vicious curved horns that are striped in varying shades of dark grey. Zavok appears to be bald, sans for a cyan ponytail sticking out from the back of his head. Zavok has two rows of sharp black spikes sticking out of his shoulders. His only attire seems to be a pair of black bracelets with grey spikes jutting out.
At some point in the past, Zavok became the student of Master Zik and was taught in various subjects. Many years prior to Sonic Lost World, Zavok was brought into the Deadly Six when Master Zik formed the group, and he became their leader.
Shortly before the events of Sonic Lost World, Zavok and the other Deadly Six met Dr. Eggman, who used a Cacophonic Conch to enslave them. Zavok then begrudgingly assisted Eggman in his latest scheme for world domination by capturing the Animals Eggman needed to build an army of Badniks.
When Eggman returned to his factory, Zavok listened uninterested as Eggman showed him and the other Deadly Six how to make Badniks, before Eggman told him that with their help, he would both conquer the world and defeat Sonic the Hedgehog. Curious about Sonic, Zavok allowed Zazz to fight him, hoping to learn more.
Later on, Zavok was with Eggman and the other Deadly Six in Windy Hill, where they were found by Sonic. When Eggman left Zazz to finish Sonic, Zavok and the remaining Deadly Six departed with Eggman. Afterwards, Zavok and his team returned to gathering more animals for Eggman, but the doctor found the animals they had brought underwhelming. This angered Zavok, but he was brought back in line when Eggman used the Cacophonic Conch. When Eggman later tested his unstable Extractor, Zavok secretly eavesdropped on the test.
Later in Desert Ruins, Zavok and the other Deadly Six were scolded by Eggman for their failures and were again subjugated to the Cacophonic Conch. However, Sonic then appeared and knocked the conch away. Now free, Zavok and the other Deadly Six took control of Eggman's Badniks and used them to attack everyone present, before Zavok ordered the others to attack as well, effectively driving Eggman, Orbot, Cubot, Sonic and Tails away.
After being by freed by Sonic, Zavok and the other Deadly Six took control of Eggman's operations on the Lost Hex, but Sonic still opposed them. When Master Zik decided to deal with Sonic, Zavok was reluctant about it as it was beneath him. At the time Master Zik returned, Zavok had devised a plan to destroy the Earth with the Extractor and use the energy it harvested to make himself and the other Deadly Six stronger, which in turn would kill Eggman as punishment for their enslavement. Revealing his plan to Master Zik and Zomom, Zavok sent the Extractor out of control as it drained the world's energy.
A while later, Zavok discovered that Zeena had not left the base to deal with Sonic, but convinced her to get going by praising her. Sometime later, Zavok contacted Sonic and his allies, where he told Sonic that his efforts were in vain and sadistically commended Eggman for the Extractor before he was cut out.
Later, Zavok was studying Sonic, having found him to be a more formidable foe than he had anticipated. When Master Zik then suggested Sonic would make a powerful slave and brought up that Eggman had taught them how to make robots, Zavok realized that they could turn Sonic into their robotic servant. Setting up a trap, Zavok and the others awaited for Sonic to be captured, but when it return, they discovered they had caught Tails instead. While annoyed by this, Zavok decided to use Tails to their advantage, before scowling at Zor who arrived to tell them that they had failed to capture Sonic.
Later, Zavok met Sonic in Sky Road where he horrified Sonic by telling him his plans to turn Tails into a robot before escaping. However, Sonic caught up to Zavok and defeated him. Some time after, Zavok found Sonic again and taunted him with how his friends seemed to die one after another after Sonic had seen Knuckles and Amy succumb to the Extractor, before escaping again. Not long after, Zavok faced Sonic again, but was defeated once more.
Tired of his defeats, Zavok began the process of turning Tails into a robot to enact his revenge before leaving the machines to fulfill the process. Later on, Zavok confronted Sonic with Zor and Zeena when Sonic was moving through Lava Mountain, where Zavok told Sonic to join Tails as he revealed a seemingly Tails-turned-robot. When Sonic refused, Zavok ordered Tails to kill Sonic, but was surprised and forced to retreat when Tails attacked him, having only pretended to be their robotic slave. Not long after, Zavok was confronted by Sonic and fought the hedgehog again, but was defeated for good. What happened to Zavok afterwards is unclear.
Other game appearances
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Zavok makes a cameo appearance as a part of the "Deadly Six" trophy which can be collected in the game.
Zavok is a merciless and cruel being. He is very serious, ferocious, brutal and dark, often deploying graphical threats of death and destruction, and he has little tolerance for failure, though he mostly keeps his cool. Power-hungry and ever focused on achieving his goals, Zavok will not let anything stand in his way. Despite his intensiveness though, Zavok has occasionally displayed a sarcastic and dry sense of humor.
Zavok is a quite cunning and intelligent individual. Always observant, he studies his opponents in advance and knows how to use a situation to his advantage, knowing he would learn about Sonic when Zazz fought him regardless of the outcome and planning to use Tails to his advantage when they accidentally caught him. He is also rather manipulative, tricking Zeena into fighting Sonic by praising her and sending Sonic into disarray with psychologically taunts.
Zavok comes off as very prideful. He disdains the idea of being in servitude to another being which can aggravate him to the point where he will speak up despite the danger present to him. Zavok's pride transcends into arrogance, which is shown in his mockery at Eggman for attempting to enslave him and the Zeti and at Sonic challenging him. He also has a bit of an ego in that he thinks he is better than everybody else, calling himself "the one Zeti" Sonic could not defeat even after losing to the hedgehog beforehand.
Like the other Deadly Six, Zavok is inherently malicious and violent. He finds joy in inflicting pain, torturing and killing others, telling Sonic that he would savor his screams and feast upon his fear. He also enjoys tormenting others psychologically, laughing at how he taunted Sonic with his plans to turn Tails into a robot and the apparent death of his friends. He also has no qualms about causing global genocide and destruction for his own gain or personal reasons, as he was perfectly content with destroying the Earth and everyone on it to get their energies for himself and the others. Likewise, Zavok is very vengeful and will seize any opportunity for retribution; he instantly attacked Eggman when had no means of controlling him, with every intent of making him play for his abuse, and plotted to turn Tails into a weapon against Sonic after being defeated by him.
Powers and abilities
Arguably the strongest fighter amongst the Deadly Six, Zavok possesses great fighting skills which might stem from his tutelage under Master Zik. He excels in close combat, using combos of punches where he can surround his fists with red energy for more powerful strikes and using guards to protect himself. As another testament to his strength, Zavok has never needed to use his full power before his final battle with Sonic.
Zavok possesses a high degree of superhuman strength, enough to punch over a meter thick robot parts off their joints with a single strike. He also has incredible jumping skill, allowing him to leap high into the air and across very large distances in an instant. To match his strength, Zavok has a large amount of endurance and durability, enough to let him withstand Sonic's regular Homing Attack and continue fighting indefinitely. He is also able to move at speeds matching Sonic's as small dashes.
Besides physical skills, Zavok is capable of flight. He also possesses a degree of pyrokinetic abilities that let him fire large fireballs from the palm of his hands. In the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World, Zavok also demonstrated the ability to increase his own size immensely. While in this state, Zavok's strength, mass, and durability are increased to the point where he can effortlessly barge through anything and withstand several explosions before going down, and he can shoot either an intense laser or immense fireballs from his mouth. Zavok refers to this state as his "full strength".
As a Zeti, Zavok possesses the innate ability to manipulate magnetic fields, which enables him to control electronics. This allows Zavok to take control of robots and remotely pilot mechs without using physical control interfaces.
As the leader of the Deadly Six, Zavok is very loyal to his fellow Zeti. He seemingly holds them in high esteem, referring to them as "brothers" and had every intention of sharing the energy the Extractor harvested with them. Amongst the Deadly Six, Zavok has taken a liking to Zazz due to his readiness to fight anything. He also holds a great amount of respect for his teacher Master Zik. When Master Zik wanted to take care of Sonic, Zavok did not want him to bother himself with it as it was beneath him, and when he gave him the idea of turning Sonic into a robot, Zavok respectfully thanked him for the plan.
Regardless of his respect for his team members (excluding Master Zik), Zavok is a stick leader as he will lash out at his team when they fail to carry out his orders. He also does not always get along with their quirks, such as Zeena's lack of initiative and arrogance which made him use trickery to make her collaborate. Also, as implied by Zazz, Zavok will go to the extend of physically punishing his team should they fail him.
Due to him enslaving and humiliating him, Zavok holds nothing but spite for Dr. Eggman. Even while under the threat of being exposed to the Cacophonic Conch, Zavok spoke up against Eggman and expressed him contempt at him when the doctor criticized them. He also does not think highly of the doctor and considers him a fool. Regardless, he did commend Eggman for his Extractor.
Once Sonic accidentally freed Zavok from Eggman's control, Zavok quickly seized the opportunity to take revenge on Eggman by attack him with everything at his disposal and had every intention of making Eggman suffer and eventually claiming his life. Also, when Zavok set the Extractor to destroy the earth, one of his reasons for doing this was to kill Eggman as revenge.
Sonic the Hedgehog
When Zavok first heard of Sonic the Hedgehog from Eggman, he was intrigued by the blue hedgehog and desired to learn more. When Sonic set out to stop them once they broke free, Zavok thought of him as no more than a nuisance destined to fail. As Sonic continuously defeated the Deadly Six, however, Zavok began to see Sonic more like a legitimate threat and acknowledged his strength; Zavok himself admitted that if Sonic did not try his patience, he would respect him. When Master Zik later brought it up, Zavok gained an interest in making Sonic the Deadly Six's robotic slave.
After the other Deadly Six had been defeated, Zavok decided to take care of Sonic personally, but was too dealt humiliating defeats. Infuriated by Sonic, Zavok decided to take revenge on him by turning his best friend into an robotic instrument to use against him.
Zavok is encountered at Sky Road in the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World. He rides and controls a giant, robotic serpent-like dragon with the same color scheme as Zavok. There is an encounter against Zavok, as well, as Zavok (without the robot dragon) punches and stomps on Sonic at Zone Four of Sky Road. In Zone Two, Zavok rides the dragon, as the robot dragon shoots fireballs at Sonic, but the weak point is shown as the tail. This battle takes place in a planetoid-sphere arena which eventually turns into a 2.5D arena in Zone Two.
Appearances in other media
Zavok appears in Sonic Halloween Comic Fest 2013 and Sonic Super Special Magazine #9 published by Archie Comics, which are both comic book prequels to Sonic Lost World. In the comics, Zavok encountered Dr. Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot when they first arrived on the Lost Hex, and did not take kindly to their arrival. After hearing from Eggman that he had come looking for him and the Zeti, Zavok mockingly wondered if Eggman was either brave or foolish. Eggman then proclaimed himself Zavok's new master, but Zavok found it laughable, and asked how he planned to control him. In response, Eggman ordered his Buzz Bombers to attack Zavok, but he easily dodged their blasts and took control of them. No sooner though, Zavok was brought into submission when Eggman used the Cacophonic Conch. After being forced to serve Eggman, Zavok rounded up the other Deadly Six and went out to capture Animals upon orders from Eggman, though Zavok remarked that such work was beneath the Deadly Six.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Zavok and Deadly Six were enslaved by Dr. Eggman with the Cacophonic Conch, but got liberated by Sigma, a villainous robot from an alternate world. Zavok personally helped Sigma with his plan, only to betray him when he and the Deadly Six received power-enhancing armor from him. Zavok's attempts to control Sigma however, proved in vain as the robot took control of Zavok's mind using a device hidden in his armor and had him serve as one of his commanders until the unified heroes freed him.
- "That's what I like about you, Zazz. Always ready for a fight, even before you know what you're fighting."
- —Zavok praising Zazz for his personality.
- "Strike, brothers! Make the fool pay for our abuse and enslavement!"
- —Zavok ordering Zazz and Zomom to attack Eggman after being freed.
- "Please, Master Zik; this is not something you should trouble yourself with. It's beneath you."
- —Zavok telling Master Zik not to concern himself with Sonic.
- "Well, that was so easy I almost feel guilty."
- —Zavok after getting Zeena to fight Sonic.
- "Your efforts are impressive little hedgehog, but you are destined to fail, as the fat fool has failed before you."
- —Zavok contacting Sonic in Frozen Factory.
- "You incompetent fools! I cannot trust you with the simplest of tasks. All right. We can use this to our advantage."
- —Zavok after discovering they had captured Tails instead of Sonic.
- "This is the pest who has beaten the others? Pathetic. I'm going to have to find better Zeti."
- —Zavok taunting Sonic during Sky Road Zone 2.
- "Insignificant hedgehog! I'll shatter you, your friends, and your world!"
- —Zavok taunting Sonic during Sky Road Zone 2.
- "It would be hard for you to joke with no teeth. I'll savor your every scream and feast upon your fear."
- —Zavok taunting Sonic during Sky Road Zone 2.
- "I will show you my full strength..."
- —Zavok before battling him in Sky Road Zone 2
- "That's right. Enrage me further!"
- —Zavok during his battle with him in Sky Road Zone 2
- "Maybe it's too early to kill you..."
- —Zavok after being defeated in Sky Road Zone 2.
- "One by one, your friends are falling. Soon you'll be all alone."
- —Zavok after Sonic loses contact with Amy and Knuckles.
- "Your fate is to be destroyed! Why won't you just accept that, lie down and die?!"
- —Zavok taunting Sonic during Sky Road Zone 4
- "All this effort, just to reach the one Zeti you cannot defeat. As Zor would say, "How pointless.""
- —Zavok taunting Sonic during Sky Road Zone 4.
- "Tenacious little hedgehog. I'd respect you if I didn't hate you so much."
- —Zavok taunting Sonic during Sky Road Zone 4.
- "Playtime is over, hedgehog!"
- —Zavok before battling him in Sky Road Zone 4
- "Now, now, don't break too easily!"
- —Zavok during the battle against him in Sky Road Zone 4.
- "Our next meeting looks to be interesting."
- —Zavok after being defeated in Sky Road Zone 4.
- "You are a waste of my time, Sonic. And I despise waste!"
- —Zavok taunting Sonic during Lava Mountain Zone 3.
- "Let's put an end to this!"
- —Zavok's opening line when fighting him in Lava Mountain Zone 3.
- "That ineffectual Eggman was right. You are a nuisance. Like a gnat to be swatted."
- —Zavok taunting Sonic halfway up the tower in Lava Mountain Zone 3.
- "This is the first time ever that I reached full power..."
- —Zavok being defeated in Lava Mountain Zone 3.
- Zavok's name may be based on the word "havoc", fitting his role as a world-destroying villain.
- The robot dragon that Zavok will use for his boss fight bears a great resemblance to the Egg Viper and the unused Sky Chase Dragon from Sonic Adventure. It also bears some resemblence to the Egg Wyvern and Egg Dragoon.
- Zavok plays a similar role to Antasma from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team; Both are the main villain of their respective game, temporarily work with the series antagonist (Eggman and Bowser), and are both the second to last boss while being overshadowed by Eggman and Bowser. The difference is, Bowser and Antasma work together for the majority of the game and Bowser betrays Antasma and leaves him to be killed by the Mario Bros., as opposed to Zavok overshadowing Eggman earlier into the game and Eggman reassuming his antagonistic position only after Zavok's final defeat.
- Zavok's final battle is similar to the fight with Bowser in New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. 2. In addition, the way he is defeated is done in a similar way to Bowser's battles in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Also, both Zavok and Bowser shoot fireballs and both fall into the lava when defeated.
- Zavok and Bowser's physical appearances are also similar too, as they both have spiked wrist bands and hair tufts hanging backwards from their heads, and feet with claws.
- Zavok is the only member of the Deadly Six (and the only boss other than Eggman) to have his own theme for boss fights.
- Initially, Zavok was given the subtitle "Master of Chaos", but it was later changed to "King of Chaos."
- Out of all the Zetis, Zavok has the longest and thickest tail.
- Zavok is the only Zeti who can whitstand Sonic's Focused Homing Attack.
- ↑ Zavok at the beginning of his boss battle in Sky Road Zone 4.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 File:Zavokprofile.jpg
- ↑ Exactly what becomes of Zavok after his final battle is not clear: In Wii U version, Zavok falls down into a lava pool, and in the Nintendo 3DS, he fled after his final defeat. However, Eggman's final words to Sonic at the end of both versions of the game imply that Zavok and his fellow Zeti survived their battle with Sonic, and that Zavok seemingly fled after his final defeat.
- ↑ Sonic Lost World. Retrieved on 6 October 2013. “The leader of the Deadly Six, Zavok is a merciless and cruel being with his eye on one thing – world domination. When Zavok spots the opportunity to overthrow Dr. Eggman and destroy the world, it seems nothing will stand in his way.”
- ↑ Sonic Lost World (Wii U) electronic manual
- ↑ Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2014). In-game description of the "Deadly Six" trophy.
- ↑ Sonic Team (October 29, 2013). Sonic Lost World. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Level/Area: Lava Mountain Zone 1. "Zazz: The boss is gonna beat me!"
- ↑ File:Zavok Master of Chaos.png