Zavok - Master of Chaos
in other media
155 cm (5 ft 1 in)
80 kg (146.4 lb)
Purple irises with pale yellow sclera
Black and grey spike bracelets
|Alignment and character traits|
|Skills, abilities and powers|
Zavok (ザボック Zabokku?) is one of the primary antagonists in Sonic Lost World. He is a Zeti and the leader of the Deadly Six. When Dr. Eggman came to the Lost Hex, Zavok and the other members of the Deadly Six were forced into serving the doctor due to the effects of the Cacophonic Conch. After Sonic the Hedgehog arrived and got rid of the conch, Zavok and the others rebelled against Eggman and took control of his forces. Zavok then enacted his plan to achieve world domination by using Eggman's Extractor to make himself and the other Deadly Six stronger, while destroying Earth, but was ultimately defeated by Sonic.
Zavok is a red Zeti with a very stocky build. The majority of his upper body is pure red, as is his serpentine tail. He has five-fingered hands that end with sharp cyan-colored nails. Zavok's body from the waist down is black in coloration, ending in two-clawed feet with cyan toes. His head is relatively small compared to the rest of his body and his lower jaw sticks out, showing a row of spiked fangs. The upper half of his head is black save for red markings around his eyes, which are purple with yellow sclera. Zavok has what appears to be a relatively thick cyan-colored unibrow that forms a vaguely V-shaped crest. Sticking out from the sides of his head, Zavok has two vicious curved horns that are striped in varying shades of dark grey. Zavok appears to be bald, sans for a cyan ponytail sticking out from the back of his head. Zavok has two rows of sharp black spikes sticking out of his shoulders. His only attire seems to be a pair of black bracelets with grey spikes jutting out.
At some point in the past, Zavok became the student of Master Zik, where he was taught in various subjects. Many years prior to Sonic Lost World, Zavok was brought into the Deadly Six when Master Zik formed the group and he became their leader.
Shortly before the events of Sonic Lost World, Zavok and the other Deadly Six met Dr. Eggman, who used a Cacophonic Conch to enslave them. Now working for Eggman, Zavok began begrudgingly assisting Eggman in his latest scheme for world domination by capturing the animals Eggman needed to build an army of Badniks to take over the world.
When Eggman returned to his factory after an attempt to kidnap more animals, Zavok listened uninterested as Eggman showed him and the other Deadly Six how to make Badniks, before Eggman told him that with their help, he would both conquer the world and get rid of Sonic the Hedgehog. Curious about Sonic, Zavok allowed Zazz to go fight him, confident that he would learn something about Sonic.
Later on, Zavok was with Eggman and the other Deadly Six in Windy Hill, where they were found by Sonic, and Zavok was introduced to him by Eggman, along with the other Deadly Six. When Eggman then left Zazz to finish Sonic, Zavok and the remaining Deadly Six departed with Eggman. Afterwards, Zavok and his team returned to gathering more animals for Eggman, but the doctor found the animals they had brought him underwhelming. Angered, Zavok stood up to Eggman and told him that they did not care about his disappointment, but was brought back in line when Eggman used the Cacophonic Conch. When Eggman later tested his unstable Extractor, Zavok secretly eavesdropped on the test, intrigued by the device.
Later in Desert Ruins, Zavok and the other Deadly Six were scolded by Eggman for their failures and were subjugated once more to the Cacophonic Conch. However, Sonic then appeared and knocked the conch away. Now free to use their powers, Zavok and the other Deadly Six took control of Eggman's Badniks and used them to attack everyone present, before Zavok ordered the others to attack as well, effectively driving Eggman, Orbot, Cubot, Sonic and Tails away.
After being by freed by Sonic, Zavok and the other Deadly Six took control of Eggman's operations on the Lost Hex, but Sonic still opposed them. When Master Zik decided to deal with Sonic, Zavok insisted to his master that it was beneath him, but was convinced to let him go. At the time Master Zik returned, Zavok had devised a plan to destroy the Earth with the Extractor and use the energy that the device harvested to make himself and the other Deadly Six stronger, which in turn would kill Eggman as punishment for their enslavement. Revealing his plan to Master Zik and Zomom, Zavok was encouraged by his master and began his plan by reactivating the Extractor as it drained the world of its energy.
A while later, Zavok discovered to his annoyance that Zeena had not left the base to deal with Sonic, but managed to convince her into fulfiling the task by praising her speed, intelligence and appearance. Sometime later, Zavok contacted Sonic and his allies, where he told Sonic that his efforts were in vain and sadistically commended Eggman for the Extractor, before he was cut out by the doctor.
Later, Zavok was studying Sonic, having found him to be a more formidable foe than he had anticipated. When Master Zik then suggested that Sonic would make a powerful slave and brought up that Eggman had taught them how to make robots, Zavok realized that they could turn Sonic into their robotic servant and he thanked Master Zik for the plan. Setting up a trap, Zavok and the others then awaited for Sonic to be captured by it. When the trap later returned with Sonic seemingly caught it, however, Zavok discovered that they had instead caught Tails. While annoyed by this, Zavok decided to use Tails to their advantage. He then found Zor arriving, who tried to tell them that they had failed to capture Sonic, to which Zavok and the others scowled in response that they were aware of that fact.
Taking matters of defeating Sonic into his own hands, Zavok met Sonic in Sky Road, where he horrified Sonic by telling him that he planned to turn Tails into a robot, before making his escape. Once Sonic caught up with him, Zavok fought him, but was defeated. Some time after, Zavok found Sonic again and taunted him with how his friends seemed to die one after another after Sonic had seen Knuckles and Amy succumb to the Extractor, before escaping again. Not long after, Zavok faced Sonic in another round of combat, but was defeated once more.
Tired of his embarrassing defeats, Zavok began the process of turning Tails into a robot to enact his revenge with Zomom's assisstance, before leaving the machines to fulfill the process while he left. Later on, Zavok confronted Sonic with Zor and Zeena when Sonic was moving through Lava Mountain, where Zavok told Sonic to give up and join Tails as he revealed a seemingly Tails-turned-robot. When Sonic refused to, Zavok ordered Tails to kill Sonic, but was surprised and forced to retreat when Tails attacked him, having only pretended to be their robotic slave. Not long after, Zavok was confronted by Sonic and fought the hedgehog with his maximum strength, but was defeated for good by Sonic. What happened to Zavok afterwards is unclear.
Zavok is a merciless and cruel being. He is very serious, vicious and dark, often deploying graphical threats of death and destruction, and he has little tolerance for failure, though he at most times manages to keep his composure. He is also very focused when it comes to achieving his goals, and he will not let anything stand in his way.
Zavok is a quite clever and cunning individual. Always observant, Zavok studies his opponents in advance and knows how to use a situation to his advantage, knowing he would learn something about Sonic when Zazz fought him, regardless of the outcome, and planning to turn Tails into an effective weapon against Sonic after they accidently caught him when they intended to catch Sonic. He is also rather manipulative, tricking Zeena into fighting Sonic by praising her and sending Sonic into disarray with psychologically torment by addressing the dangers to his friends or mocking him with his impending loneliness.
Zavok comes off as very prideful. He considers serving as the servant to Eggman and capturing animals as beneath him and it can aggravate him to the point where he will speak up despite the danger present to him. Zavok's pride transcends into arrogance or at least a disrespect for others, which is shown when he called Eggman a "fool" for enslaving them, when he told Sonic that his fight against them was futile and fated to fail and he called himself "the one Zeti" Sonic could not defeat, even after losing to him beforehand.
Despite his arrogance and pride, Zavok holds great respect for his teacher, Master Zik. When Master Zik wanted to take care of Sonic, Zavok did not want him to bother himself with it as he thought it was beneath him. Also, when Master Zik gave him the idea of turning Sonic into a robot, Zavok respectfully thanked him for the plan.
Zavok is also shown to have a sarcastic and dry sense of humor. When Eggman boasted about his Badnik army, Zavok looked away and told Eggman indifferently that he was "quite the mighty conqueror". He later responded in a similar way when he noted how Zeena took her time to get ready.
Like the other members of the Deadly Six, Zavok is inherently malicious and violent. He finds joy in inflicting pain, torturing and killing others, telling Sonic that he would savor every scream he made and feast upon his fear. He also enjoys severely shaking others psychologically, laughing at how he horrified Sonic by telling him of his plans to turn Tails into a robot and how he attempted to break down Sonic's determination by mocking him with the apparent death of Amy and Knuckles. He also has no qualms about causing massive genocide or widespread destruction for his own gain or personal reasons, as he was perfectly willing and even content with destroying the Earth and killing everyone on it to obtain their energies for himself and the others. Likewise, Zavok is very vengeful and will seize any opportunity to take revenge; when Eggman no longer had a means of controlling them, Zavok and the other Deadly Six attacked him, with Zavok in particular encouraging them to make Eggman pay for their enslavement and abuse. Also, after repeatedly losing to Sonic, Zavok immediately enacted his revenge on him by attempting to turn his best friend Tails into a robot servant meant to fight Sonic.
Powers and Abilities
As arguably the strongest fighter amongst the Deadly Six, Zavok possesses great fighting skills, especially in close combat, using combos of punches where he can surround his fists with red energy for more powerful punches and using guards to protect himself. His skills at fighting might stem from his tutelage under Master Zik. As another testament to his great strength, Zavok has never needed to use his full power before his final battle with Sonic.
Zavok possesses a large amount of immense physical strength, enough to let him punch over a meter thick robot parts clean off their joints with a single strike. He also has incredible jumping skill, allowing him to leap high into the air and across very large distances in an instant. To match his strength, Zavok has a large amount of endurance and durability, enough to let him withstand Sonic's regular Homing Attack and to continue fighting indefinitely without tiring out.
In addition to his physical abilities, Zavok is capable of flight, and is able to fire large fire ball projectiles from the palm of his hands. In the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World, Zavok also demonstrated the ability to increase his own size immensely. While in this state, Zavok's physical traits, such as his strength, mass, and durability, are greatly increased to the point where he can effortlessly barge through any obstacle in his way and withstand several explosions before going down, and he can shoot either an intense laser or highly destructive fire balls from his mouth. Zavok refers to this state as his "full strength".
As a Zeti, Zavok possesses the innate ability to manipulate magnetic fields, which allows him to take control over electronics. This allows Zavok to take control of and command robots, such as Badniks, by touching his forehead and then using his hands to issue commands, and to remotely pilot mechs without using physical control interfaces.
Zavok is encountered at Sky Road in the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World. He rides and controls a giant, robotic serpent-like dragon with the same color scheme as Zavok. There is an encounter against Zavok, as well, as Zavok (without the robot dragon) punches and stomps on Sonic at Zone Four of Sky Road. In Zone Two, Zavok rides the dragon, as the robot dragon shoots fireballs at Sonic, but the weak point is shown as the tail. This battle takes place in a planetoid-sphere arena which eventually turns into a 2.5D arena in Zone Two.
Appearances in Other Media
In the comics, Zavok encountered Dr. Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot when they first arrived on the Lost Hex, and did not take kindly to their arrival. After hearing from Eggman that he had come looking for him and the Zeti, Zavok mockingly wondered if Eggman was either brave or foolish. Eggman then proclaimed himself Zavok's new master, but Zavok found it laughable, and asked how he planned to control him. In response, Eggman ordered his Buzz Bombers to attack Zavok, but Zavok easily dodged their blasts and took control of the Buzz Bombers. No sooner though, Zavok was brought into submission when Eggman used the Cacophonic Conch, which made him relent and reluctantly agree to serve Eggman.
After being forced to serve Eggman, Zavok rounded up the other Deadly Six and went down to Earth to capture animals upon orders from Eggman. After filling a capsule with animals that Eggman took with him in his Egg Mobile, Zavok remarked that such work was beneath the Deadly Six.
- "Your fate is to be destroyed! Why won't you just accept that, lie down and die?!"
- "Eggman wants the little hedgehog destroyed..."
- "That's what I like about you, Zazz. Always ready for a fight, even before you know what you're fighting."
- "Strike, brothers! Make the fool pay for our abuse and enslavement!"
- "Please, Master Zik; this is not something you should trouble yourself with. It's beneath you."
- "Well, that was so easy I almost feel guilty."
- "Your efforts are impressive little hedgehog, but you are destined to fail, as the fat fool has failed before you."
- "Your threats are almost as amusing as your mustache. I must commend you on your invention, though. We get stronger and stronger as we leech the life from your dying world!"
- "You incompetent fools! I cannot trust you with the simplest of tasks. All right. We can use this to our advantage."
- "Let's put an end to this!"
- "I will show you my full strength..."
- "Don't break too easily!"
- "All this, just to reach the one Zeti you cannot defeat. As Zor would say, how pointless."
- "You are a waste of my time, Sonic. And I despise waste!"
- Zavok's name may be based on the word "havoc", fitting his role as a world-destroying villain.
- Zavok's name may also be a reference to the game engine "Havok", which is used to program many of the physics of certain modern Sonic games.
- The robot dragon that Zavok will use for his boss fight bears a great resemblence to the Egg Viper and the unused Sky Chase Dragon from Sonic Adventure. It also bears some resemblence to the Egg Wyvern and Egg Dragoon.
- Also, his mech resembles the denomic creature of Christian lore known as the Leviathan.
- Zavok plays a similar role to Antasma from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team; Both are the main villain of their respective game, temporarily work with the series antagonist (Eggman and Bowser), and are both the second to last boss while being overshadowed by Eggman and Bowser. The difference is, Bowser and Antasma work together for the majority of the game and Bowser betrays Antasma and leaves him to be killed by the Mario Bros., as opposed to Zavok overshadowing Eggman earlier into the game and Eggman reassuming his antagonistic position only after Zavok's final defeat.
- Zavok's final battle is similar to the fight with Bowser in New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. 2. In addition, the way he is defeated is done in a similar way to Bowser's battles in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Also, both Zavok and Bowser shoot fireballs and both fall into the lava when defeated.
- Zavok and Bowser's physical appearances are also similar too, as they both have spiked wrist bands and hair tufts hanging backwards from their heads, and feet with claws.
- Zavok is the only member of the Deadly Six (and the only boss other than Eggman) to have his own theme for boss fights.
- Initially, Zavok was given the subtitle "Master of Chaos", but it was later changed to "King of Chaos" .
- ↑ Zavok at the beginning of his boss battle in Sky Road Zone 4.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 
- ↑ Exactly what becomes of Zavok after his final battle is not clear: In Wii U version, Zavok falls down into a lava pool, and in the Nintendo 3DS, he fled after his final defeat. However, Eggman's final words to Sonic at the end of both versions of the game imply that Zavok and his fellow Zeti survived their battle with Sonic, and that Zavok seemingly fled after his final defeat.
- ↑  Retrieved on 2013-10-06.
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/08/nintendo-direct-shows-new-sonic-lost-world-footage-wii-u-3ds/