|This group exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic the Comic continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Zed Monkeys were led by their mentor, Professor Zed, who was later revealed to be their old enemy, Madmeano, in a rubber monkey suit (size 18). Madmeano taught them to stop at 10 o'clock every day for "Hero Hour", during which time they would pose and flex their muscles, allowing Madmeano's criminal allies (like the Yob) to commit their crimes without being caught.
When the truth of Professor Zed's identity was exposed by Sonic the Hedgehog, the Zed Monkeys decided to abandon Hero Hour and instead adopt an Agony Hour, feeling sorry for themselves their mentor was evil.
The Zed Monkeys and their individual "powers" are as follows:
- Cycleclips, the leader of the team, has the ability to throw metal bicycle clips at his enemies.
- Chimpoline, the angry ape, has metal claws on his knuckles, but they've had corks put on them. He is the best at what he does, which is get angry and scowl a lot.
- Armpit possesses "awesome armpits" that appear to emit green lightning... or maybe they just smell.
- Greyjeans is well-groomed and wears jeans, but even she isn't very clear on what her powers actually are.
- Snow Monkey is made of snow and has the ability to melt, but is incapable of independent movement and must be pushed around in a wheelbarrow.
- The Zed Monkeys are a parody of the Marvel Comics superhero team, the X-Men. The specific members of the team were also parodies of individual X-Men, as follows:
- The Zed Monkeys at the Sonic the Comic Wiki